It’s been a while, but I’m back with another meal prep option for you all…. MEXICAN BURRITO BOWLS! You honestly can’t go wrong with Mexican.
Burrito bowls are a really easy way to throw things together in a bowl and just enjoy the delicious goodness. Quinoa is a great source of protein on a plant based diet and a great way to bulk up a meal and offer you longer lasting energy.
There are a few components to this recipe… but all you are going to do is prepare everything and then put them into separate bowls and at the end you will create your burrito bowl 🙂
I hope you enjoy this recipe guys! I would love to hear from you on instagram at @stephsanzaro to hear your thoughts snd see your wonderful creations!
Vegan Burrito Bowls
1 iceberg lettuce shredded
4 medium tomatoes diced finely
1 bunch of coriander, washed and finely chopped
1/2 spanish onion finely diced
1 cucumber finely chopped
1 mango diced
2 tins of organic mexican bean mix
1 tin of organic diced tomatoes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin ground
1 tsp dried oregano
pinch of chili powder
2 husks of corn, kernelled (can use 1 tin, drained and rinsed if preferred)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp olive oil
pink himalayan salt
1 avocado smashed or sliced
2 limes, 1 juiced + 1 quartered to serve
1 cup of dried tri colour quinoa, cooked and salted
- QUINOA: Add 2 cups of water and the cup of quinoa to a pot, simmer at a low heat with the lid on, until cooked. Stir occasionally to assure it doesn’t burn on the bottom. Salt it when ready.
- BEAN MIX: Drain the tins of beans and wash well under water. Add to a saucepan. Add in the tin of tomatoes. Then add the paprika, chilli, oregano and cumin (add more if desired), then add salt and a decent amount of pepper. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- LETTUCE: Wash the lettuce. Cut it in half, and then shred it.
- CORN: Shuck the corn. Carefully cut the corn off the cob in a sawing motion, nice and slowly. Place in a pan with the oil and add the smoked paprika. Cook on a low heat and stir every minute until it goes bright yellow and starts to brown slightly. Remove from heat, season with a pinch of salt.
- SALSA: Add the mango, tomatoes, cucumber, onion and coriander to a bowl. Squeeze in half a lime, season with salt and pepper.
Smash or slice an avocado and make some guac.
Sriracha chilli sauce.
You can also use store bought tomato salsa.
- SERVE: Serve with a wedge of lime. Optional: Black sesame seeds.
That’s it my friends, if you wanna be the star of your next theme night or you just want a funky meal prep option… then this is the dish for you 🙂
Happy cooking lovely’s,